Tuesday, April 7

GE Silicone II Caulk - Warning

I will go into the details of assembling/erecting my new greenhouse later, but wanted to get this out ASAP:

I read where it was advisable to use silicone caulk as an additional adhesive/sealant to better secure the clear plastic window/panels to the framework of the greenhouse. This is indeed advisable.

HOWEVER: Make sure you check the expiration date of the silicone caulk. I learned this the hard way. I just bought this caulk off the shelf at the local hardware store on Saturday (4/5/09), took it home and used it the same day. Now, 2 days later it still is not curing and is just as free flowing as when first applied. Now, I have done alot of caulking over the years, including using 100% silicone caulk, and never had a problem like this. Subsequently, I googled it and found other people had this problem and it was because it was beyond the expiration date. To further research this, I went to the GE mfgrs website, and sure enough, if it has expired IT WILL NEVER CURE!!! It remains like a gooey lubricant. I checked the tubes I bought and they had an 10/08 expiration date.

The only recourse is that you get a refund for the product. Unfortunately, that doesn't nearly begin to compensate for the major effort it will/would take to remove the silicone that you have already applied. You have to totally remove all the expired silicone, using isopropyl alcohol as necessary. In my case I am not going to bother with it, and will just leave it. I had applied 4 tubes of this stuff in 3/16" wide channels. Can you imagine trying to remove some 300 lineal feet of this? Plus I would have to remove all the panels and risk damaging them in the process. Plus not only would I have to remove the silicone from the channels, I would also have to remove it from the panels. This stuff is so gooey/sticky, that the task would be virtually impossible.



SO: If you are going to use 100% Silicone Caulk...be sure to check the expiration date...and buy it as far from the expiration date as possible!

Also, I had bought the GE Silicone II Caulk. A number of the reviews mentioned that DAP brand is a much better product.

I love my new greenhouse, but I still am very upset over this silicone caulk issue.

FURTHER LESSON LEARNED: Always check expiration dates. Never assume the store is rotating stock or pulling expired stuff off the shelves!



Garden Tools for Beginners
The Mushroom Factor
10 Recipes for Roast Chicken

Zazzle

Join Us on Facebook